What is Futsal?
Futsal is the way the world plays indoor soccer. It is played on all the continents of the world in over 100 countries by more than 12 million players.
Futsal is played on a court about the size of a basketball court and larger using a low-bounce ball. It can be played on a variety of smooth surfaces, e.g. concrete, wood and rubber matting. The game does not require the use of expensive dasher boards (walls), as do other versions of indoor soccer.
Without the walls, futsal is a great skill-developer, demanding quick reflexes, fast thinking, and pin-point passing. It is an exciting game for children as well as adults.
Great soccer superstars such as Pele, Ronaldo, Robinho, Zidane, Ronaldino, Vieira or Falcao, and Messi grew up playing the game and credit futsal with developing their acquired skills. See their credited benefits to futsal. Futsal, played with a special low bounce ball, requires players to use their skills, rather than the ball's bounce, to propel it.
Futsal differs from soccer - Comparison Chart
Benefits of Futsal
1. Gives players many more touches on the ball than outdoor soccer games typically provide
2. Leads to better ball control skills, i.e. better dribbling, better passing, better shooting
3. Necessitates quick thinking in tight places
4. Only a few different rules to learn, e.g. kick-ins instead of throw-ins
5. Allows playing in the coldest months and in the hottest months of the year
6. Futsal is safer than wall-ball
For more on Benefits of Futsal, view this handout.
Original website's About Futsal page