It’s the first day of fall. The 6th summer season of the North Alabama FUTSAL League completed with division winners, golden boot and golden glove recipients and all who had great fun. See fall Newsletter for details. Click here to view.
Announcements for this fall, winter and spring seasons:
- Preseason Practice and/or Pickup Games being offered. October 9 (Wed), youth pickup futsal games at Optimist Recreation Center. October 25 (Fri) and November 1 (Fri), adult team practice or pick-up games at Providence Elementary School. If interested, email email@example.com.
- Big discounts available when registering for the 2020 Dixie Defrost Futsal Tournament. When registering for the tournament during the registration period for the winter season, i.e. on or before 11/18/2019, teams get a 20% discount, called the Golden (Early) Bird Special. On or before 12/20/2019, teams get a 10% discount, called the Silver (Early) Bird Special. Afterwards, full price. The 4th annual Dixie Defrost Futsal Tournament will be held on January 18-20, 2020. Regular registration fees range from $295 to $395/team.
- Tuition Refunds for taking the online futsal coach course at UnitedSoccerCoaches.org/education/Level-1-Futsal. To improve the quality of coaching and the quality of the futsal games themselves, the league will refund 50% of one’s tuition cost ($40 or $50, it depends) and provide a free polo shirt boasting the NAFL logo (while supplies last) after completing the course. The first to complete the course will be refunded 100% of his/her tuition cost. Complete details and rules at www.nafutsal.com/More/Documents under Training.
- Next spring, plans are for the league’s games to be played in the newly renovated Johnson Legacy Complex, at the former J.O. Johnson High School. See article on AL.com at https://www.al.com/alabama/2019/01/multi-million-dollar-johnson-gym-renovation-to-be-completed-in-huntsville-in-2020.html. After renovations have been completed, it will contain two futsal courts at the standard 2:1 ratio of length to width (international futsal courts are 40 by 20 meters) on new cushiony poured floors with permanently painted futsal lines. Exciting!
Registration dates for the winter futsal season and the futsal tournament in January are:
* 9/29/2019 – Registration Opens for the Winter Futsal Season and the 2020 Dixie Defrost Futsal Tournament
* 10/13/2019 – End Early Bird Special for winter season - Adults
* 10/21/2019 – Winter Futsal Season Youth Registration Starts
* 10/27/2019 – Adult Team Registration Deadline – for winter season
* 11/4/2019 – End Early Bird Special for winter season - Youth
* 11/8/2019 – Adult Divisions Futsal Season Games Begin
* 11/18/2019 – Youth Team Registration Deadline – for winter season
* 11/18/2019 – End Golden (Early) Bird Special for tournament - All Teams
* 12/6/2019 – Youth Divisions Futsal Season Games Begin
* 12/20/2019 – End Silver (Early) Bird Special for tournament - All Teams
* 1/10/2020 – Tournament Registration Deadline – All Teams
* 1/18-20/2020 – Dixie Defrost Futsal Tournament
I was talking to a soccer coach the other day and he completely agreed with the main benefit of futsal being the large quantity of touches a player gets as compared to soccer, especially since futsal is played in the soccer off-season. But there’s much more, such as regularly playing both offense and defense, frequently transitioning between offense and defense, and the frequent one-on-one moments with the ball facing an opponent up close. A more complete detailing of the benefits of futsal can be read here.
Start making plans TODAY to play futsal this winter.